Check out our new feature to keep you up-to-speed on all things Women’s March Minnesota! Each week we’ll give you a rundown of the most important topics of the week on social media, as well as how we’ve been active in the community and future opportunities to show up.
SHEro Mayor Carmen Yulin Cruz
We stand with #SHEroes like Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz. Thank you for demanding our federal government take the humanitarian crisis in Puerto Rico seriously and act with immediacy.
Trump guts requirement that employer health plans pay for birth control.
Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) expired this weekend, leaving nine million children and pregnant women without insurance while this administration flies private jets, plays golf, and plans tax cuts for the rich. See what’s at stake for kids.
The ACA is saved—for now! Your resistance worked in ensuring 11 million Americans have insurance coverage. Now, we need your help to spread the word about ACA Open Enrollment so more can get coverage.
Many thanks to everyone who made it to the Third Thursdays event “Standing with Immigrants and Refugees." What a great turn out! Here’s what you can do right away!
With 65.6 million people forcibly displaced across the world (twice as many as 20 years ago), Trump cuts 2018 refugee admissions to the US to 45,000, after minimal consultation with Congress. It's time to contact your US Representatives!
Response to the Las Vegas shooting: "As we send our love to the victims' family members, we must also remember: Thoughts and prayers will not fix this."
The NRA has donated $66,050 to Minnesota congress people who are currently in office.
Act on Gun Control Now We need stronger gun regulation now. This is an issue of public health and safety. Here are some steps you can take to help this happen!
Opportunities to Show Up
Tuesday, Oct. 10:
- Minneapolis - The Future of Food is Female. Join Wedge Table for a panel of local female entrepreneurs who bring us quality, thoughtful and responsible products.
Wednesday, Oct. 11:
- St. Paul - Race, Gender, and Citizenship. All are invited to a special event commemorating the 75th anniversary of a tragic chapter in US history -- Japanese-American Incarceration During WWII and Implications for Today.
- Minneapolis - We Are All Criminals Birthday Bash. WAAC is turning four! As always, we want to celebrate with you: the community that makes this all possible.
Thursday, Oct. 12:
- Hopkins - Community Read "Good Time for Truth: Race in Minnesota" Enjoy an engaging evening of conversation and storytelling at the Hopkins Community Read.
- St. Paul - 14th Annual Indigenous People's Day Music Showcase Join us for our annual Indigenous People's Day Music & Art Showcase (formally known as the Anti-Columbus Day concert).
Thursday, Oct. 12 – Sunday, Oct. 15:
- Minneapolis - 15th Annual Twin Cities Black Film Fest Enjoy four fabulous days filled with films, fashion and music! Be educated and inspired. Support the latest vision makers and upcoming talent at the Twin Cities Black Film Festival!
Saturday, Oct. 14:
- St. Paul - The People's Rally for Justice POWER TO THE PEOPLE! Come join us in the fight for justice and help build a lasting solidarity to dismantle the systems of oppression. "We all do better, when we all do better."
- St. Paul - 13th Documentary Screening And Panel Discussion
- Minneapolis - Domestic and Relationship Violence Workshop Learn to prevent domestic and relationship violence for yourself, your friends, your family, and your community.
- Duluth - March to Dismantle the Legacy of Racism Come together to recognize and respond to racism in the Twin Ports.
Monday, Oct. 16:
- Minneapolis - Out North: MN LGBTQ History
- Minneapolis - OUTnorth Watch Party at Boneshaker Books
- Across the Twin Cities and Greater Minnesota, we'll gather to watch Out North for the very first time, a film that explores some of the untold stories of MN's LGBTQ community that will surprise, inform, entertain, and inspire! Join Twin Cities Pride and Sunrise Banks for a night of film, fun, and conversation!
Tuesday, Oct. 17:
- St Cloud - Across the Line: A Virtual Reality Experience Across the Line is a powerful virtual reality experience that takes viewers through what people may experience when they try to access or provide safe and legal abortion - including being met with a line of protesters.
- Powerful Local Elections: MN Statewide Call Local elections are one of the ripest places for progressive change. For years, activists have been building and driving towards more representative local leadership, giving us in 2017 more women, LGTBQ+, and people of color running for office and leading campaigns than ever before.
Wednesday, Oct. 18:
- Minneapolis - Pints for Planned Parenthood Friends and future friends! Now, more than ever, we need to unite and come together as a community to stand for equal rights for all.
Thursday, Oct. 19:
- St. Paul - El Asopao: An Afro-Latinx Jam Session Benefit A Benefit for Puerto Rican and other Caribbean Islands Hurricane Victims featuring An Afro-Latin Jam Session with Bomba, Rumba, Funk, and more!
- St. Paul - Lectures Coordination Board Presents: Angela Davis Join Lectures Coordination Board for our fall speaker event with legendary activist and educator Angela Davis
Saturday, Oct. 21:
- Arden Hills - Somali Museum of MN 4th Anniversary The Somali Museum's Anniversary is an annual event bringing together the Twin Cities' vibrant Somali-American community for a massive culture-focused celebration.
Sunday, Oct. 22:
- Minneapolis - The Democratic Party at a Crossroads: The Wellstone Way The Democratic Party is at a crossroads as Republicans control the White House, Congress and two thirds of governorships and state legislatures.