BRCA Continuing Calls to Action
The US Senate is back in session next Monday, but work on the BCRA (senate version of AHCA) continues through the July 4th recess to get it ready for a vote. It is crucial that we speak up about this cruel bill. Listen to what Cecile Richards, director of Planned Parenthood, says its impact will be on women in this country – see video.
And here are some ideas of how to make our voices heard:
1) Attend a 4th July event with signs - These are the parades in the Twin Cities:
Eagan, 10am; Excelsior and St. Paul, 11am; Afton, 12pm; Apple Valley, 1pm; Lakeville, 5.30pm.
Find the one local to you wherever you are in the state and attend with a strong message for anyone there. And if you don’t want to carry a sign, wear a band aid with the words “Vote No” written on it – see this from CAP Action to the good people of Ely, NV.
2) Use this time to get in touch with friends and family in states with Republican US senators and urge them to contact their reps about what they feel about the BCRA. Here is the list of the states that are particularly important – WV, AK, NV, AZ, ME, LA, TN, OH, CO, AL, PA, WI.
Other events to attend:
3) 5th July, noon, “Tell Tom Emmer, Hear Our Voice Rally”, organized by Take Action Minnesota, at St. Cloud Municipal Athletic Complex. After months of asking for a meeting with Tom Emmer, CD6 people are trying a different way to communicate their message to their representative – putting up a billboard which says “Healthcare, Not Wealthcare”. Click here for details.
4) 6th July, 8am, #StopTrumpcare Sit-in at Ron Johnson’s Office in OshKosh, WI (for those of you holidaying in WI or with friends and family there), hosted by Indivisible Stoughton- part of larger campaign across country. Click here for details on this event.
5) 11th July 6.30pm, Medicare for All Backyard Party, organized by Health Care for All Minnesota, 4161 Burton Lane Minneapolis. “Let’s fix how we pay for health care in our country and in Minnesota. Hear from some of the organizations advocating for change and find out how you can get involved” – from the organizers. Click here for more details.
6) Check out Ultraviolet’s “Women Resist Trumpcare” Recess Toolkit – it’s great:
Plus the FB live Q&A Ultraviolet did with Indivisible on the subject.