Weekly Rundown: Dec. 10
Stay up-to-speed on all things Women’s March Minnesota! Get the rundown on the most topics of the week on social media, as well as how we’ve been active in the community and future opportunities to show up.
Sports Illustrated's Performer of the year: Minnesota Lynx All-Star and WNBA Champion Maya Moore is a #SHEro for her work on and off the court as an important voice for criminal justice reform.
Sophia Vuelo blazes trail as new Minnesota judge.
A Miss Minnesota contestant with Down syndrome won awards and received national attention after competing.
Get Your Activism On
5 ways to effectively protest, according to activist Carmen Perez
Faith in Action: a handbook for activists, allies, and advocates from local MN leaders (including one of our own).
Tax Plan Proposals
Wondering what to do about Friday night’s tax bill vote? It’s not over.
Senate GOP tax bill hurts the poor more than originally thought, CBO finds
Tarana Burke was omitted from the Time magazine cover, so let’s celebrate the sh*t out of her today!
WMM’s position on Senator Franken’s resignation.
MeToo creator Tarana Burke: ‘It’s not just a moment, it’s a movement’
The brave Silence Breakers Are TIME’s Person of the Year!
How have you changed your life to avoid sexual assault?
The #MeToo movement could help push Equal Rights Amendments in the Constitution
Before Weinstein, these women spoke out.
Black girls and women are being left out of the #MeToo conversations and that must change.
Why action is needed to save Net Neutrality
Congress is 2 months late on re-authorizing funding for CHIP (Children’s Health Insurance Program).
Immigration / DACA
DACA was rescinded in September and 800,000 DREAMers are waiting for a bill to be passed to protect them.
Actor Bambadjan Bamba is one of 800,000 DACA recipients living with great uncertainty in the US today.
Opportunities to Show Up
- Monday, Dec. 11: Stop Line 3-Rally Against Illegal Pipeyards, Carlton
- Monday, Dec. 11: Introduction to Advocacy, Minneapolis
- Monday, Dec. 11: Where Do We Go from Here? Minneapolis
- Wednesday, Dec. 13: Our Lives Over Their Game: A Conversation about the Super Bowl, Minneapolis
- Thursday, Dec. 14: No More Moments of Silence-Advocacy and Vigil, St Paul
- Thursday, Dec. 14: Born After Roe: Stories from the Intersection, St Paul
- Thursday, Dec. 14: We All Survived 2017: A Celebratory Happy Hour, Minneapolis
- Saturday, Dec. 16: Twin Cities Activist Workshop and Training, St Paul
- Saturday, Dec. 16: SURJ MN Skill Building: Participating in Multiracial Movements, Minneapolis
- Monday, Dec. 18 or later(actual date to be determined): Rally in Response to Freeman Decision, Mpls
- Thursday, Dec. 21: Third Thursdays – Take Back the House, Minneapolis
- Thursday, Jan. 11: 2018 Lobby 101 Training and Legislative Session Preview, St Paul
- Friday, Jan. 12: Sanctuary Now! Visible Presence at 1st Meeting of New City Council, Minneapolis
- Saturday, Jan. 13: Copwatch Training, Minneapolis